Tuesday 3 April 2018

Dear Jane Quilt, I5, I6, I7, I8 & E9 - 21 of 225

Here are five more completed Dear Jane blocks.

Block I5 I decided looked like a Cathedral Window block, so that is how I made it.  I made the centre cathedral window and then before I pulled back the outer edges, I added four semi-circular pieces of fabric.  Their outer curved edges were folded under and sewn down and their inner edges were left raw and covered by rolling back the cathedral window.  Here is a picture with just the centre cathedral window made.


And here is I5 completed.


Block I6 was drafted to make two of the pointy sections at once.  I decided to make it like a Dresden Plate and made it with two colours so you could see that more clearly.  I pieced my background on the diagonal so that I could pull back the edges of the black fabric from the back to reveal the petals.


And here is I6 completed.


Block I7 was pretty straight forward, four half square triangles separated by a plus sign.  The little triangles in the border were a bit tricky but I just sewed a yellow and black strip of fabric together and cut four triangles from it and then added black to each side.


And here is I7 close up.


I8 is a square in a square in a square in a square and then the corners are triangles edged with black fabric.  If I were to make this again, I would start with my centre square 1/4" smaller so that my last square's corners would not get sewn into the seam allowance, but I am happy enough with it to leave it.


Here is I8 close up.


E9 was easy.  I made the centre with strip piecing and then just framed it.


Here is E9 completed.


And here are twenty sewn together and the start of another column.


Three of these blocks were made early last week, one and a half were made on Thursday with my Dear Jane sewing group and I just finished up the other half this morning.  Still having tons of fun!

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my these are beautiful. thanks for including the close up pictures. Doing that one block as a cathedral window - I never would have thought of it, and I've never seen it done before, but it looks wonderful. I am in the midst of a Dear Jane project myself.
    http://viridian61.blogspot.com/2018/04/friday-quilt-block-april-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are really lovely. The size of Dear Jane blocks give me the "shivers"....."high five" to you!

    ReplyDelete