Tuesday 24 April 2018

Dear Jane Quilt, F9 - 22 of 225


This is another block which most people would likely simply applique.  In my quest to avoid applique, I no doubt increased the complexity of this block quite a bit, but I had fun doing it!

I first cut a square of background fabric into four triangles by cutting an X on the diagonal.  I then cut strips off the edges of the internal sides of the triangles and sewed them back on leaving a gap in the middle of the seams.




I ironed a square of main fabric in half, wrong sides together.

I then sandwiched two of the triangles around the folded central square matching the raw edges and sewed them together.

This is a method of making a 3D faux cathedral window.






I then sewed the two pairs of triangles together sandwiching the now popped open main square between them.  FYI, you can access a tutorial on how to sew a 3D Faux Cathedral Window here.













Once the block is opened, you have a popped up main square of fabric on top of the background fabric.










I then rolled over and sewed down the edges of the square without adding the "window" so the centre remains the main fabric colour.
















I then rolled the edges of the slits in the background fabric under in order to create the orange peels and sewed the edges down with the main fabric triangles placed underneath showing through.









I think it looks very similar to Jane's block.  The close up shows a few imperfections, but I have decided it is good enough.

I haven't sewn very many Dear Jane blocks this month, but I am still having fun when I do get one made!

No comments:

Post a Comment