Wednesday 10 January 2018

Leaf Table Runner

The Mayflower Quilters' Guild organised a one day workshop on 16 September 2017 taught by Sherida Giddings to make the pattern "One" from the Quiltworx.com Leaf Series by Judy and Brad Niemeyer.  I was able to finish my leaf during the workshop and here is a picture just before I added the binding:


Shortly after the workshop I finished the background to put the leaf on by quilting it with a pantograph called "Tea Leaves" by Marjorie Busby, but then the project stalled.

I decided this morning to get this project finished and by noon I was done! I changed the stem by adding more of the central vein of the leaf fabric instead of turning one of the side bindings into the stem.  I added batting to the back of the leaf and quilted it with my walking foot in the dark coloured triangles.  I then attached the leaf to the background by stitching very close to the edges of the central vein of the leaf and then stitching in the ditch of the binding on each edge of the leaf.  I bound it using the same fabric as the central vein.


Here's a close up of the tip of the leaf  showing the quilting:


I was glad to learn more tips on paper piecing, especially curved paper piecing and to learn how to use the Add-A-Quarter ruler which I had not seen before.  I can see myself tackling a quilt such as a New York Beauty in the future but maybe I should start with a wall hanging or something smaller first.

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

3 comments:

  1. That's stunning! I love the variation of a smaller and a broader pattern that you have for each colour.

    ReplyDelete