Saturday 30 December 2017

Christmas Tree Table Runner

This year my son's partner Catherine's mother joined us for Christmas dinner.  I had been wanting to make a Christmas tree table runner for awhile so decided to make one for her.  I went looking for a pattern and found a tutorial by Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt Company.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6eVzKF34w)

Play Video

I didn't have the wedge tool called for but cut triangles that I thought looked the right size.  I used a 9 inch strip of fabric and cut the base of the triangles 8 inches wide.  Also, instead of having half a tree at each end, I used the background fabric for these pieces and only made 12 trees.  Here is my completed runner:


I used wood grain fabric for the tree trunks and used gold metallic thread to stitch in the ditch all the seam lines and create some wavy lines on the trees themselves.  The ditch stitching went well as I used my walking foot, but the wavy lines ended up being a bit tight.  Here's a close up:


I'll try to quilt a wavy line with my walking foot next time because now I want a tree table runner for myself!  I also need to make myself a tree skirt like I made the "kids" last year.(http://allikatquilts.blogspot.ca/search/label/Tree%20Skirt)
So, now I already have Christmas sewing  projects for next year!

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/12/maine-socks-and-stash-organization.html

3 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful table runner! So easy, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I love this one, and I have a Christmas layer cake that has been languishing to long in the TBDone pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you nailed it... even WITHOUT the specialty ruler!!!

    ReplyDelete