Wednesday 1 November 2017

Fall Maple Leaf Cushion Cover

I really like the fall colours.  I have made more fall coloured quilts, wall hangings and table runners than for any other season, but I don't have any fall cushion covers.  I also just visited the newly opened Ikea in our area and discovered feather 20" x 20" cushion innards for $8 and polyester 20" x 20" cushion innards for $5.  The local quilt store sells the polyester ones for $13, so I have found my new source for cushion forms...

I used a free Autumn Leaf Quilt Block tutorial and pattern from Generations Quilt Patterns:
https://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/autumn-leaf-quilt-block.html
I used the 5" pattern, there are are also 10" and 15" patterns.

I made nine maple leaves and put them together with 1.5" sashing and corner stones.  Here it is before quilting:


I quilted it on my sewing machine using my walking foot by ditch stitching all the sashing and then quilting 1/4" inside each maple leaf:


I made the cushion back with a flap to cover the zipper for the first time.  It is was very easy. The only thing I would do differently is make sure my bobbin thread was the right colour before I sewed the flap down...  I then bound the cushion just like a quilt with the same fabric as the backing.


Thanks to my friend Marilyn for the backing fabric.  There was an auction while we were at the Pictou Retreat and Marilyn bid on a bundle of mostly neutral fabrics and got it.  She gifted me with the brown leaf fabric as it wasn't to her taste.  Thank you Marilyn!

3 comments:

  1. I love the colors in your autumn pillow--lovely work on this hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've created the perfect pillow for the season. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I'll come back to this blog for sure!
    king size duvet covers

    ReplyDelete