Friday 20 January 2017

Sometimes things just don't go smoothly!

In May of 2016, I pieced 3 identical baby quilts with 8" granny squares and alternating squares of bear fabric. One I finished in June with a flannel backing and bound with the same material as in the granny squares and it was gifted to my daughter's partner's sister who was expecting her second baby.


I bought blue gingham material to back the other two and decided Wednesday this week I was going to get them done.  I started out by piecing left over batting.  My first attempt looked like I was trying to ruffle the batting which is weird because I have done this before and it turned out fine.  Also, I nearly sewed the tablecloth to my batting, not once, but twice.


Out came the stitch ripper and I decided to use safety pins every hand width to keep the batting lined up. The big piece that was all ruffly turned out to be six inches longer out flat.  I will use this method again! I also took the tablecloth off the table.


Then I pinned on all the little bits to give me enough width.  I used 9 different pieces altogether which was a very good use of trimmings from previous quilts.


I then pinned the backing to my quilting frame.  Someday I am going to upgrade to zippers to make this process go faster!  I currently sew in an unfinished basement room which is why you can see the cement wall below.  I plan to take over the rec room shortly. :-)


Then I laid my pieced batting on top and that was where I stopped because everything had taken so much more time than expected that I ran out of time.


On Thursday I programmed Patricia Ritter's Flower Power Panto to quilt 72" long and 4.5" deep as I was going to quilt both baby quilts side by side at the same time.  I ran out of bobbin thread about a third of the way across the first row.  I had expected it because I didn't have any empty bobbins to wind a full one so needed to use a partial one up.  I got a full bobbin wound and finished the first row without any issues getting caught up where one quilt ended and the next started which was my only concern.


Little did I know.....from row number 2 to row 8 is where the problems arose, and there were many of them:
  • On row 2 one of my fingers got too close to the needle which nicked an outer layer of skin off  - not enough to bleed, but still hurt.  Plus it broke the needle.
  • I had no quilting needles left so put in a universal needle.  The machine hated it and broke it too.
  • I took a quilting needle off another machine and put it in.  It didn't break but the machine was making funny clicking noises.  I took off the throat plate and cleaned under it, changed the foot, and oiled a few spots.  It sounded happy again and I continued to quilt.
  • Because I was paying more attention to listening to the machine, I forgot to pay attention to helping it over the gap between the two quilts and the foot went under the 2nd quilt and before I could hit the stop button, the circular foot was sewn between the layers. I should have taken a picture of this, but was not in the mood at the time!  This took awhile to rip out without making a hole in the edge of the quilt.  I finally got it freed up and finished the row.
  • On row 3, I got half way across and QBOT went berserk and was not stitching the programmed daisies.  I think I had to start and stop so many times already that it couldn't handle it!  I had to shut off QBOT and set it up to quilt the pattern again.  I had to let it run the pattern with the presser foot up so it wouldn't sew until it caught up with where I had ended and then continue the row.
  • Row 4 and 5 went OK.  I ran out of bobbin thread again at some point and had to put in a new bobbin but that is normal.
  • Row 6 started and after maybe three inches of pattern, QBOT went berserk again and wouldn't even pay attention to the stop button, I had to turn the power off.  At this point I took the dog and went for a long walk....
  • Refreshed from my walk and fuelled from lunch I once again restarted QBOT. QBOT behaved, but my thread did not.  For some unexplained reason, as nothing had changed from the morning, my upper thread broke 3 times and of course just before I finished row 8, I had to change the bobbin again, but the eighth and final row was complete.

I have never been so challenged by just 8 rows of quilting and am so happy to have finished.  I was going to bind these quilts too, but that will have to wait until another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment